The other day I had a go at making some healthy sweet potato brownies (well healthier than normal ones) and they were so delicious I thought I just had to share it with you. I would definitely recommend these brownies, they are just as easy to make and taste better than the sugar filled normal brownies. So here it goes...
150g Sweet Potato (one medium - large)
2 Medium Eggs
50g Coconut Oil
100g Ground Almonds
30g Raw Cocoa Powder
1tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
Pinch of Salt
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees and line a square dish with grease proof paper for the brownie mix.
2. Gather together all the ingredients to make it a bit easier for you. Then peel and chop the sweet potato into chunks and place them in a pan of boiling water, I only put a little bit of water at the bottom of the pan so the potatoes will steam and cook. Make sure the potatoes are cooked through. Drain and cool.
3. Whilst the sweet potatoes are cooling, blend the eggs and coconut oil by either mixing in a bowl or using a food processor, I just mix them in a bowl as I don't have a food processor unfortunately. Mix until slightly combined.
4. Add and blend in the honey and sweet potato, again you can do this in a food processor, however I put the honey and potatoes in the combined mixture and mash the sweet potatoes and honey into the mix with a potato masher. This seems to work fine for me :). Mash until the mixture is combined to make a not so attractive orange baby food looking mixture (stay with me here, I promise they are yummy).
5. In a separate bowl mix the ground almonds, cocoa powder, bicarb of soda and salt. Then add this to the wet ingredients and mix until combined to make a nice chocolaty brownie mix. Add the walnuts, I break the walnuts into pieces, makes it less walnutty.
6. Pour the mixture into the prepared dish and bake for 20-25 minutes, this time is based on the shallowness of your dish, if it is quite a deep dish I would cook for 20-25 (keep and eye on it) if its more shallow then 15-20 minutes should be enough time. I would just keep an eye on it and stick a knife into to see if its cooked.
7. Let the brownies cool for 10 minutes and enjoy your brownies with a nice cold glass of milk!
Hope you enjoy these brownies, if you end up giving it a go please let me know if you enjoyed them. I'm going to scoff my face now :)